|Click for photo credit.|
Here are some of the main physical consequences that we can expect in the next several decades:
- Temperatures on land will increase throughout most of the world
- Temperatures over oceans will increase throughout most of the world
- There will be more hot extremes (extreme heat waves)
- There will be more extremes in precipitation
- Some areas will experience unusual droughts
- Sea level will rise approximately 1/4 to 3/4 of a meter
- There will be significant disruptions in ecosystems
Of course, the report highlights that the impacts of climate change will be better under a 1.5 degree C change compared with a 2 degree C change. Indeed, the 2 degree C change would prove to be far more problematic.
The consequences outlined above are already being seen. There is growing research to support that we are in a changing world. There is so much data as to what is happening out there that the predictive models are getting better. We are able to understand what is happening on the planet in more precise ways.
Next time, I will outline some of the ways the report suggests we can react to try to mitigate climate change and its impacts.