|Women participating in an election in Timor-Leste. Photo by Sandra|
Magno of the UN Development Programme. Click for credit.
There are quarterly submission opportunities (September 29, December 22, March 16, and June 22) available and they are particularly interested in funding projects that:
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
- Support freedom of information and independent media
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values
- Promote accountability and transparency
- Strengthen civil society organizations
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
- Promote civic education
- Support democratic conflict resolution
- Promote freedom of association
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy
They also work within six basic purposes:
The National Endowment for Democracy has funded a number of organizations (including universities) and individuals around the world.