To celebrate the birth of the state, here are my top 10 things about Florida that only Floridians know.
1. The best inland swimming is Rainbow Springs State Park.
2. The best best plant festivals and beekeeping workshops are at the USF Botanical Gardens.
3. The best agricultural festivals are the Lake Placid Caladium Festival and the Dade City Kumquat Festival.
4. The best place to see sinkholes and caves in their native habitat is the Withlacoochee State Forest.
5. The best place to see a giant map of Florida with each county made out of a different type of wood is the Florida Capital Museum State Park in Perry.
6. The best place to learn about the link between agriculture and Cenozoic geologic formations is the Mulberry Phosphate Museum in Mulberry, Florida.
7. The best place to see giant sloths and saber tooth tigers in Florida is the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.
8. The best place to see ancient pyramids and Native American artifacts is the Crystal River Archaeological Park.
9. The best place to see a prehistoric "woodhenge" is the Miami Circle Park.
10. The best place to see manatees is Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park.
Happy birthday Florida!