|Click for photo credit.|
Today, I bring you Reindeer Cam! Just click here to see it. Note, Santa feeds the reindeer at 11am, 6pm, and 9pm EST. I didn't realize that the north pole was on Eastern Standard Time, but it is good to know that if I ever travel there, I won't have to change my watch.
Here are 10 fun reindeer facts:
1. They are the same species as the caribou.
2. They are the only animal that can see ultraviolet light.
3. They have the largest migratory range of any land animal.
4. They went extinct in Scotland in 1200 due to over hunting.
5. The native language of northern Scandinavia has over 400 words for reindeer or objects associated with reindeer.
6. Their lifespan is 10-18 years.
7. Female reindeer do not shed antlers until giving birth in the spring. Male reindeer lose theirs in the fall.
8. They can lower their blood temperature in their legs to near freezing in order to conserve energy during extreme cold.
9. While a human pregnancy lasts 9 months, a reindeer pregnancy lasts 7-8 months.
10. Nine have been known to fly.
Here's some downloadable coloring pages of reindeer for kids.