Sunday, May 24, 2015
|The new World Trade Center Building. Photo|
by Bob Brinkmann.
1. Manhattan Schist.
3. Hawaii, the Big Island.
5. End moraine.
6. This is a trick question. It wasn't officially a hurricane. It was officially classified as a post tropical storm. However, it packed winds of a Category 2 hurricane.
7. Lisa Minnelli.
9. de Blasio; Cuomo; Gillibrand and Schumer.
10. Hofstra University.
11. Brooklyn Heights.
12. 30 degrees.
13. Theodore Roosevelt.
14. Lincoln Center.
16. Hudson and East Rivers.
17. The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. The only one attached to the continent is The Bronx.
18. LGBT rights movement. Stonewall is a gay bar that is still open. The police raided the bar which led to the riot.
19. Robert Moses.
20. The Cotton Club.
21. Staten Island. 400 feet.
22. 11th; roughly the same population as Virginia.
23. They occurred when poor immigrants rioted against the Union draft rules in Manhattan during the Civil War.
25. U.S. Grant.
Saturday, May 23, 2015
|Missouri is home to hundreds of caves such as Meramec|
Caverns in this photo. These caves are quite safe.
However, on occasion, sinkholes form when cave roofs
collapse. The sinkhole on the golf course in Branson likely
formed from a cave roof collapse.
Click for photo credit.
The first big cave I ever went into was in Missouri. The state is heavily impacted by karstification and caves are common in many places. Sometimes, cave roofs collapse to create dramatic sinkholes. This seems to be what happened to form this monster.
Karst landscapes undergo tremendous changes over relatively short geologic time and are among the most active landscapes in the world.
Friday, May 22, 2015
|Santa Barbara beach. Click for photo credit.|
There's that old saying, no one has ever heard of a solar energy spill.
While we all know that oil is going to be in our energy portfolio for years to come, I think we can all do more to try to reduce energy consumption whenever possible. Let's all take this latest event as a message.